Mount Vernon Missionary Baptist Church was born out of faith, perseverance, and the resilience of freedmen who, after the Civil War, sought to build lives of their own. These formerly enslaved men and women settled on the poor land along Mountain Road, east and south of Stem, North Carolina. Despite being given the least desirable land, they worked tirelessly to cultivate it, providing for their families and establishing a community of faith.
In 1872, a group of believers in Jesus Christ came together with a vision to establish a house of worship that would serve as a spiritual home for those in the Bowling Mountain area. The nearest place of worship, Pine Grove Church in Dutchville Township, was too far for many, as not everyone had access to a horse and buggy.
Determined to have a church of their own, the congregation first gathered in a bush harbor, a simple clearing where worship services were held under makeshift brush shelters. As resources became available, a log cabin was constructed when the church was about two or three years old. By 1880, the congregation built a frame structure on Roe Hill Road, on land leased by Samuel Moore, Sr., located about a mile north of Stem, NC.
Across from the church, a one-room schoolhouse was built, and additional structures were added to meet the growing needs of the community. Under the guidance and support of Pine Grove Baptist Church, Mount Vernon Missionary Baptist Church was officially constituted in 1872, with the following charter members:
To help establish the church, Pine Grove Baptist Church loaned several members, including Brothers Joseph Coley, Talton Lawrence, and Jacob Winston, and Sister Lucy Coley. The congregation rapidly grew with additional members such as Brothers Samuel Moore, Jr., Hugh G. Tilley, Logan Jones, and Marcus Tilley, and Sisters Amy Tilley, Dicy Bullock, and Thinnie Umstead.
In 1885, tragedy struck when a fire destroyed the church. However, under the leadership of Rev. L.C. Ragland, the congregation rebuilt, demonstrating their resilience and unwavering faith.
By 1904, the church underwent remodeling, and a cornerstone was laid by the Freemasons. By 1939, a new addition was built onto the rear of the church, which was formally dedicated in 1940.
Throughout its early years, Mount Vernon faced many trials and tribulations, yet the faith and perseverance of its members never wavered. One of the church’s greatest challenges came in February 1942, when the U.S. government ordered the congregation to vacate its land for the construction of Camp Butner, a military training facility.
Mount Vernon, along with Mt. Level Baptist Church, was one of only two churches that survived the forced relocation. While searching for a new site, the congregation accepted the invitation to worship at Pine Grove Baptist Church, where they remained from May 1942 to September 1942.
During this time, not only was the church building dismantled and moved, but the graves of deceased members had to be relocated as well. The government provided a burial site along Culbreth Road in Stem, where tombstones bearing the names Allen, Boon, Bullock, Chambers, Clements, Cozart, Currin, Day, Harris, Hayes, Jones, Lyons, Moore, Rogers, Myrtle Wilson, and Hattie Winston were moved.
The congregation then purchased new land from J.M. Mangum on Mount Energy Road (now Moss-Hayes Road) and rebuilt the church. Rev. John Tilley, who would later become Dean of the Divinity School at Shaw University, preached the dedication sermon.
New stained-glass windows and lighting were installed.
A new organ was purchased.
New auxiliaries were formed, including:
In 1992, Mount Vernon was featured in “Voices from the Field”, a book commemorating Camp Butner’s 50th anniversary. That same year, Rev. Dr. J. Eric Morgan III, a native of Liberia, West Africa, became the church’s 21st pastor. Under his leadership:
On September 30, 2011, Mount Vernon purchased 10 acres on Highway 56 in Creedmoor, aligning with its theme: “Going After the Harvest.”
When the COVID-19 pandemic struck in 2020, the church adapted by offering services via Facebook, Zoom, phone conferences, and live-streamed Bible studies. The Women’s Ministry initiated Saturday Bible Study via Zoom, ensuring that the Word of God continued to reach the congregation during difficult times.
Today, Rev. Timothy E. Green, M.Div., proudly serves as our 22nd pastor, with his wife, First Lady Natasha Green, by his side. Mount Vernon remains a steadfast beacon of faith, hope, and perseverance.
For over 152 years, from Bowling Mountain to Creedmoor, God’s hand has guided this church through both trials and triumphs. As we move forward, we will continue to let our light shine, remaining steadfast in our faith and unwavering in our commitment to our mission and motto: "One Heart, One Soul, One Vision, One Church"
We're forever Dedicated to spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ!!!
Copyright © 2025 Mount Vernon Missionary Baptist Church - All Rights Reserved.